This post was supposed to be written last Wednesday, in time for New Year’s Day, then Friday, the day after New Year’s. But I couldn’t write it. Every time I tried, one thing stopped me: I didn’t want to accept the One Word I feel compelled to adopt for 2015.
This will be the fourth year I choose One Word to focus on through the year. In 2012, it was boldness as I was a fledgling inspirational blogger.
In 2013, I chose Persevere as my word. It had become easy to quit, yet I felt God calling me to continue. I needed a reminder to stay the course and trust God’s leading even when discouragement set in.
In 2014, Savor became my focus. What a blessing to concentrate on the goodness in my life and in my God. That word I gladly accepted.
As I pondered what my word for 2015 would be, Delight caught my attention. It would be a pleasure to pursue Delight. Delight in my Lord. Delight in my surroundings. Delight in others. Delight in myself as a child of God. All good and worthwhile things.
Yet as much as I wanted to prepare the Delight 2015 word badge, something stopped me. I just didn’t have a peace about it. And as I prayed, the word Growth kept popping in my mind.
Here is my journal entry dated December 31:
Last day of 2014, so much left undone, so much the same. Yet forward to God is the way. His love reaches out for me–to carry me, to heal me, to grow me, and to change me. This year, I’m expecting one of growth.
I want to choose Delight for my One Word, but I see growth! Growth in my spiritual maturity, in my faith, in my dependence and trust in the Lord, in my interactions and relationships with my family and friends.
Growth is not easy. Thus I hesitate–often pruning must occur for healthy growth–pruning, cultivating, fertilizing. When the ground is disturbed, we grow the most.
Lord, let me delight in You as I grow. [←Tweet this.]
And although fear of what growth might bring threatens to invade my resolve, I am opening my heart to God’s leading. Growth is what my One Word for 2015 will be.
For my trust is in Him.
And as you enter the first full week of 2015, I pray you, too, can trust and delight in the Lord as you grow.
“Because God’s foolishness is wiser than human wisdom, and God’s weakness is stronger than human strength.” 1 Corinthians 1:25
Reflections: Did you choose One Word for this year? If so, I’d love to hear what it is. If not, I’d still like to hear what some of your goals are as you begin the walk of 2015?
For the next few weeks Monday’s posts will be dedicated to growth: my concerns, the certainty of God’s provisions, the various facets of growth. If this is an area you could use encouragement, sign up to receive each post in your email inbox. That way you can be sure you won’t miss even one. It’s free and you’ll receive an audio series I recorded on growing the Fruit of the Spirit as my thank you.
And I’m excited to begin another year recording blessings. Since beginning over 3 years ago, I’ve counted more than 3,500 gifts in Ann Voskamp’s Joy Dare! What a blessing! So here we go in 2015: #3492–3512, read my entire list by clicking here.
- Mother-daughter time painting my girl’s fingernails; Little pleasures of home, like popcorn from our old-fashioned popper; Bigger boys home to drive younger boy to his events
- Family antics getting me laughing until I cry; Long-awaited task completed; Making up for lack of snow with a little broom hockey on the lake with the boys
- Blessings of the past year (hidden and apparent); New adventures for 2015, but same promises; Ringing in the New Year with my favorite people, my greatest blessings, my family
- Time with friends sharing food and conversation and playing games; Twilight walk with hubby through our land; Moonlight and starlight brilliance
- Downhill skiing with my niece; All in our skiing carpool group stayed injury free; Peace of a chairlift ride alone
- Awakening to a dusting of snow reminded me of its beauty; Lazy day of togetherness–likely one of our last full days all together for many months; Silliness of dueling cats–and they’re siblings too, how fitting
- Blessing of personal worship time that came out of a messed-up morning; Sundays; Friends willing to help out in a pinch and advise as needed
Joining some One Word linkups. Be encouraged, check out some of the wonderful posts on these sites:
I'm so glad you're here to walk with me through this messy but glorious journey called life! Please consider sharing this post with your family and friends. And don't miss a single piece of encouragement! Sign up to get every post in your inbox. It's free, and you'll receive free gifts just for signing up. Oh, you can unsubscribe at any time. Yours in grace ≈ Julie
I'm so glad you're here to walk with me through this messy but glorious journey called life! Please consider sharing this post with your family and friends. And don't miss a single piece of encouragement! Sign up to get every post in your inbox. It's free, and you'll receive free gifts just for signing up. Oh, you can unsubscribe at any time.
Yours in grace ≈